Campbell
Home Sitemap Contact Us
 
 
A Brief History & The Family Tree
       

          The Company was started by Scott E. Campbell in 1941. Scott and his wife, Georgiena (affectionately known as Auntie Georgie) worked together out of a small building in Hollywood on Melrose Avenue. Scott did the estimating and took care of the installation (doing most of it himself) and Georgiena did the paperwork. The company dealt exclusively with the installation and service of fire sprinkler systems. Unfortunately, just as the business was starting to grow, Scott died on August 8, 1947. This left Georgiena as the sole owner of the Company.

            Fortunately for Georgiena and the Company, just 2 years before Scottís untimely death, he had hired his nephew Robert (Bob) F. Pettitt. Bob had just been discharged from the Navy in 1945 where he had been a Fighter Pilot and had flown over 100 successful combat missions from an aircraft carrier in the South Pacific during World War 2. Georgiena and Bob spent the next 20 years working together building and expanding the business. The Company was incorporated in 1955. Georgiena retired in 1967 and sold her remaining interest in the Company to Bob, who became the sole owner and president. (Note: Georgiena (Campbell) Marsh, died in 1990 at the age of 100.)

Bob Pettitt moved the Corporate offices to a larger facility in 1965. The new location (7673 Melrose Ave.) was just across the street from the original. This location had over 11,000 square feet of land with an existing 6,000 square foot building. The business, under Bobís leadership continued to grow and expand. Bob was a strong believer in giving back to the business and was always actively involved in Association and Union related activities.

Bob retired in 1986, at the age of 66, after 41 years with the Company. He sold his entire interest in the Company to his son, R. Scott Pettitt and his son-in-law John J. De Young. Scott (obviously named after his Great Uncle) was the President and CEO and John was the Vice President and CFO. (Note: Bob Pettitt passed away August 9th, 2006 at his home in Paradise Cove, California, overlooking the Pacific Ocean that he so loved.)

The Company continued to grow through the latter part of the 1980ís and in 1989 the Corporate offices were moved to the City of Vernon. The new location has a 20,000 square foot building on an acre of land.

            In 1997 Scottís son, Jeffrey Scott Pettitt  came to work for the Company after graduating from Loyola Marymount University with business degree. Jeff is a 4th generation family member to work for the company.

              John DeYoung retired in 2003 and sold his interest in the Company to Scott Pettitt. This made Scott the sole owner of the Company. Upon Johnís retirement Jeff Pettitt took the position of Vice President and CFO.

Since its beginning, Scott E. Campbell Company has remained a private, family owned business dedicated to the installation and service of automatic fire sprinkler systems. The Company, through its talented and hard working employees has been producing quality service for 68 years.